Hundreds of thousands of people have been evacuated, and tens of people killed or missing in southern China due to floods and mudslides. State media report this on Thursday.
The bad weather has wreaked havoc on tourist areas previously plagued by months of travel restrictions due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Rainstorms caused floods and mudslides that moved 230,000 people to another place and destroyed more than 1,300 homes, according to state news agency Xinhua.
In the south of Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, six deaths were reported and one missing, Xinhua said. Streets flooded in the popular destination of Yangshuo, forcing residents and visitors to evacuate on bamboo rafts.
The local government said more than a thousand hotels had been flooded and at least 30 tourist sites have been damaged.
The Ministry of Emergency Management estimates that the economic damage now amounts to more than 500 million euros.
At least 13 people have died in Hunan Province, and a further eight have been reported missing or killed in southwestern Guizhou Province, according to local emergency services.
Heavy downpours started in early June and have led to “dangerously high water levels in 110 rivers,” Xinhua reported. More rain is expected in the south in the coming days.